Airtable is one of our favourite new pieces of software. We started working with Airtable in early 2022 and wanted to share 3 reasons why we think it’s awesome.
We have achieved this by integrating 4 different pieces of software with Airtable including Webflow, Klaviyo, OpenSolar and Simpro.
These custom integrations have allowed us to automatically transfer data between platforms, saving hours of manual data entry. They have been used to enhance internal workflows, with various actions being triggered automatically, and finally, they have been used to improve a customer’s overall experience by increasing visibility and communication.
Interfaces are great for visualising all of your data – from building summary dashboards for key stakeholders to designing detailed dashboards for analysing business performance and spotting emerging trends. We use this data to feedback into marketing, sales and operations to help guide and improve future strategies and initiatives.
No more messy data! With record linking you can store only what you need in specific tables making your database easier to manage. Data can be updated in one place and reflect throughout your entire base!
Tips when starting with Airtable
- Plan your tables: Changing and cleaning data after the fact is much more difficult than executing a clean and well thought out setup from the get go. Take the time to plan each of your tables, including the fields that they will contain and the data type each field will use (don’t just enter everything as text!).
- Don’t duplicate data: With record linking, data can be shared between tables based on a common key. If you need the data in two tables then use a record link and lookup column. This means that the information only needs to be changed at the source and will be updated everywhere.
- Be careful with dates: Pick a standardised date format across all tables (we use yyyy-MM-dd) and set it as a date column type.
- Test, test, test: Make sure you have a testing base to trial new functionality before implementing across your live base.
- Get creative: Airtable gives you the tools you need, but the best implementations rely on using these in a creative way to improve process and workflow.
- Remember, it’s an iterative process: Your base will evolve and improve over time.